Sunday, March 21, 2010

TREASURE HUNT

Once upon a time when I was visiting in Oregon, Jim and Mel came back from an outing with a friend. They'd gone "geocaching". I thought at the time that it sounded like fun and I'd like to try it someday; then I stored it away on my Someday List in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I was reading a women's magazine and there was a short article about geocaching. It stirred up the old list and I went online to the site the article referred to. I typed in our zip code and found that there are hidden treasures and secrets all over the place! I go past them every day and never knew they were there!

Based on the brief description of one of the cache locations, I knew where it was without even using a GPS (which is good since I don't have one...yet). So this afternoon Audrey and I went on our first treasure hunt. We found the cache, signed the logbook, and took pictures. Now we're hooked and are looking forward to our next geocacheing outing--with GPS in hand.

The best thing was that not only did we have fun, but it led us to take a new look at a place we've passed by many times and to spend a few moments in silent appreciation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Hunting!

Nora Johnson said...

Hi! Have left a little award for you over at my placeThe Johnson Diaries
Hope you like that sort of thing!

Love your blog - always great posts! Have a lovely day!
XOXO LOLA:)